Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Living the Dream...

Kenya's beauty is breathtaking. After arriving in Nairobi in the early hours of Thursday morning, I dozed off to sleep while Francis, our friendly driver took us to Rift Valley Academy (the school that hosted the ICEC Conference). On the bus I woke up to my colleagues gasps of delight as we passed the Great Rift Valley.

Francis stopped the bus and we all got off to admire the scene. I can't really describe it. Pictures do not do it justice. It was one of the most incredible sights I have ever seen.

Pictures taken from a viewing point along the road

We arrived at Rift Valley Academy in Kijabe and did some exploring of the school grounds. We enjoyed breathing in the fresh air and seeing greenery wherever we turned. We were content.

Several inspirational speakers addressed the conference delegates over the course of the weekend. One of my highlights was hearing Mr Wes Stafford (president of Compassion International) share his story and passion for children with us. We also met teachers from Christian schools in Egypt, Ethiopia and the Cameroon to name just a few. My eyes were opened. I had no idea that there were so many missionary teachers across Africa.

One of my favourtie workshops was entitled School Culture: Rule-dominated or grace-dominated. I enjoyed it because this is something that I have been struggling with as a teacher. How do I model Christ's example of extending grace while still mainting discipline and boundaries within the classroom? Truth be told, I still don't really know how but one thing I know is that I need to trust God. I need to ask Him for wisdom in making decisions in the classroom. I have trusted God in this regard more than before but the conference encouraged me to keep trusting Him. All the time.

I was also reminded of what a privilege it is to work with a team who are all on 'the same page'. We are all here to serve the children and families on the ship. And ultimately to bring God glory.

The Mercy Ship Academy staff. A great team.

1 comment: