Monday, March 30, 2009

Things that make me smile

I love my job.

As a teacher, I have the opportunity to participate in many 'unusual' events. Sometimes these events involve dressing up. Sometimes they are just an excuse to have a party. Although every day and every 'unusual' event is different, they all have a common thread - they usually make me smile.

An event that never fails to bring laughter into the academy is Spirit Day. This is a monthly academy event that is used to encourage unity and a sense of team spirit. These days require all teachers and students to dress according to a theme. In February we had to dress up in something that would represent our home country. I wore a South African rugby jersey, of course.










Last Friday it was time for spirit day again. The theme was 'Time Periods'. I was inspired to dress as a cavewoman - it was liberating (in a weird sort of way).













On Friday we had a poetry party for the elementary school. I don't think I have laughed like that in a long time. It just so happened that all the classes wrote poems over the last few weeks and a poetry party was a perfect opportunity for students to read their poems. And of course, it isn't a poetry party without cookies and hot chocolate.

My favourite poem was presented by one of the students in a lower grade. His couplet was surprising.

The number eight

has a plate

Needless to say, it made me smile. I just had to share it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment